Thursday 31 July 2014

You've seen the big ones


Look the fact is, no matter how much I spin it, not every bass I catch is a big fish. Oh I wish, no I really do wish they are but they are not. And I don't believe that its any longer the point. Bass are now too scarce to be fussy about any catch. I'm fairly firm with anyone who steps aboard 3 Fishes only to exclaim when they get a hook up 'oh that's a small one'. To me a bass is a bass. Too many chef's have made too many TV programmes cooking sea bass fillet and they are over persecuted often illegally simply for the quick buck that a carcass brings. The ultimate insult to such a proud and noble fish is to drown it in a gill net, sell it for cash in the black market and give the cash to the local landlord. As meaningless and pointless as over exploitation gets. So getting a hook up and a fish aboard is an achievement to be celebrated and enjoyed, no matter its size. And whilst I'm on the bass fillet thing let me tell you this. Eat Mullet; there is more of them and they taste nicer (yes really).

That said its also true that we all like looking at big fish so I'm keen to post pics of the big ones and the other superb achievements go unheralded. Until today when I celebrate the small ones! Although the one above actually isn't that small but its somewhat helped by the fact that Noah is a small person.


Fishing is a strange sport. get one and you want another, get another and you want a bigger one, get a bigger one and you want a bigger one still! Its part of its mystery and the drug that is fishing - what will take next!


No comments:

Post a Comment